Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Story of a Gentleman

One thing that I have been looking forward to is the documentary of the true guru and icon, of bespoke men’s wear. My adoration and fascination of Oswald Boateng stems from the fact that he was the youngest and first black tailor to open a shop on London's Savile Row. The way he has crossed boundaries and broken glass ceilings without hesitating once is something I admire and something which I myself strive to do in my life and in my career. I mean, this man has dressed the likes of Barack Obama, Samuel L Jackson, Daniel Day Lewis and Russell Crowefor god´s sake!

To summaries what I've read about this movie so far the film kicks off sometime in 1998 at a low point of his life when Boateng lost his business in the midst of a tough divorce. After that the film takes us on a journey through the next decade; charting Boateng's stint at Givenchy, his marriage, the birth of his two children, his second divorce, his celebrity-studded charity event in Ghana, fashion shows in Milan, Paris and London, trips to China, Russia, Los Angeles, Doha, runways, red carpets, offices, storefronts, parties, planes. It's fast-paste and at the same time glittering and glamorous and there somewhere in the middle of all this chaos stand Boateng, fearless and tireless.

Is 'The Gentleman' still alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment